Are they air fresheners or air poisons? Advertising executives on Madison Avenue would like us to believe that air fresheners work to eliminate odors and actually clean the air. This is not even close to being true. What they are really doing is masking odors with toxic chemicals. Most band name air fresheners contain a wide variety of highly toxic chemical agents such as: formaldehyde, artificial fragrance, benzyl alcohol, camphor, ethanol, and naphthalene. Air fresheners containing these known poisons may lead to cancer and birth defects, as well as to severe allergic reactions and asthma. Many of these chemicals attack the central nervous system, which can lead to Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
You don’t have to use spray air fresheners, plug in air fresheners, or candles scented with artificial and toxic ingredients. Here are some tips to help your home smell clean without the use of chemicals:
- Open the windows.
- Clean the source of the odor with non-toxic products.
- Empty the trash one or two times a day.
- Burn 100% pure beeswax candles with 100% cotton wicks. This is the best alternative to traditional paraffin candles; and pure beeswax candles will help the air stay pure and clean.
- Put a box of open baking soda in your fridge, closets, and bathrooms.
- Use vinegar to clean glass tops and mirrors.
- Put a half a cup of vinegar in a room that smells bad to absorb the odor.
- Use a drop or two of pure essential oils in a mister filled with distilled water.
- Add drops of orange or lemon essential oils, and orange, vanilla, or lemon extracts on organic cotton balls. Put them around the house. Lavender is also nice.
- Boil spices like cinnamon and cloves in a little water on top of the stove.
- Boil three to five organic lemons cut in fourths in clean water for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Boil crushed or cut fresh ginger in water.
- Boil herbs like rosemary or basil.
- Boil some water and then add a drop or two of your favorite pure essential oil(s).
- Use organic herbal sachets and potpourris.
- Add potted plants to your room to clear carbon dioxide and other toxins naturally. Aloe Vera and Potted Chrysanthemum will help to remove many toxins; English Ivy will help to remove benzene; Fig Tree and Spider Plants will help to remove formaldehyde.
- Get freshly cut fragrant organic flowers.
- Use organic herbs and garlic when you cook a meal